In London for the first time? The 10th time and still not seen it all? Would you like a half day tour, a full day? Use your valuable time well: see the key royal and historical sites and learn all you can with a professional and entertaining guide.
I will create a unique tour for you, your family, your group, for example:
• The City of London, the ‘Square Mile’, a global financial centre characterised by its cutting-edge modern architecture, its medieval lanes, and St Paul’s Cathedral. Find out which famous and infamous people have left their mark.
• Modern Architecture - a walking tour in The City of London where some buildings seem to be designed to be controversial!
• Business and Finance – The City of London, a world financial centre and just what was the role of coffee in its development?
• Westminster, the second ‘city’, with palaces, Royalty, parks and pageantry. Visit Westminster Abbey and hear about coronations, St Edward and other famous lives commemorated there. What heritage!
• Love Art ? View paintings in the leading London Galleries or the Street Art in the East End of London.
• The origin of robbing Peter to pay Paul….? St Peter and St Paul – an Abbey and a Cathedral - 2 contrasting Christian historic buildings. Plus around St Paul's are many beautiful parish churches designed by Sir Christopher Wren after the Great Fire of London. Walk in the footsteps of Samuel Pepys.
• Castles and Palaces – Her Majesty’s royal palace and fortress: The Tower of London with The Crown Jewels. Buckingham Palace and surrounding town palaces offer a complete contrast.
• A retail tour of the West End of London. From fashions in Carnaby Street to the up-market chocolatiers of Piccadilly. James Bond shopped nearby!
• Jump on a train with me to Hampton Court Palace with its Tudor history or Oxford, with its historical colleges, and many TV locations.
I am a Londoner and, apart from 2 years in the Middle East, have worked in the capital all my career. I have travelled the world, and appreciate what visitors look for from a guide. I also guide for Westminster Abbey, helping students and schoolchildren to truly ‘see’ its wonderful interior and hear its stories– all English history is there, not to forget some American….French…
And as a Freeman of the City of London I have the symbolic privilege of being allowed to drive sheep across London Bridge! Not usually included in my tours!
“Thank you for a fascinating and inspirational morning….” (RE),
“….we all greatly enjoyed your authoritative and amusing tour of the City” (Family group),
“A wonderful day today seeing just the smallest sliver of the rich history of London” (MT, Connecticut),
‘I thought I knew London! Your tour was fun, with loads of interesting stories ” (HB).
Robert leads a walking tour in The City of London seeing and discussing modern architecture – some seeming to be designed to be controversial!
|Art/Paintings & Sculpture||
See popular paintings in leading London Galleries or the street art in the east end of London. This makes for a very different tour!
|Business & Finance||
Robert leads a tour focusing on London’s development to becoming a world financial centre including how it all started and the role of coffee!
|Churches & Cathedrals||
St Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Abbey - 2 contrasting Christian buildings with wonderfully different histories. Around St Paul's are many parish churches designed by Sir Christopher Wren after the Great Fire of London.
A West End of London retail tour caters for all desires. From the fashions of Carnaby Street to Regent Street and the up-market chocolatiers of Piccadilly, including Fortnum & Mason, there is something for everyone. James Bond shopped nearby!
|Castles & Palaces||
A jewel in the crown of palaces has to be the Tower of London where the Crown Jewels are kept and can be seen. A royal palace, prison, armoury, an architectural feast: there is so much to see. Hampton Court Palace is a complete contrast with architecture from different periods and formal gardens to enjoy.