Profile updated 24/01/20
07960 240141, 02392 355331
I have lived and worked in the South West region and the Welsh Borders for over thirty years and it has been my passion to explore and discover the history, the archaeology; the dramatic and contrasting landscapes; the people and the stories that characterise this region.
I have been an officer in the Women’s Royal Naval Service; an archaeologist and a history teacher; and, most recently, I qualified as a Blue Badge Guide for the South West region. It is my passion to share the fascinating past and inspiring present of my homeland.
Tour Guiding and Management –
• Presentation and explanation of sites to add understanding and interest for visitors.
• Organisation and arrangement of visits to facilitate enjoyment, safety and comfort.
• Explanation of differences between past and present cultures; landscapes and lifestyles.
Itinerary Planning – both in individual locations, sites, cities or extended panoramic familiarisation visits to larger areas. Bespoke themed tours for the discerning traveller and special interest tours for larger groups.
Historical and Archaeological Knowledge – wide ranging and comprehensive knowledge of all periods of British History – with an active interest in:-
• Prehistoric sites; including the ongoing research
• British Maritime History and the associated locations
• Conflict and rebellion from Seventeenth Century to World Wars
• The Great Houses and Culture of Georgian England
• Religious History, monasticism and the Great Cathedrals.
• Biography, Family History and ancestry
• Royalty and Royal Families of England and Scotland
• The South West Region of England
Knowledge of Art, Literature and landscape – including the Folklore and Legends of the British Isles; and its great gardens and gardeners.
Research and Writing – Presentation of lectures, reports, assessments, plans and dissertations including articles on history and archaeology and stories for publication inspired by subjects above.
Education and Training
2017-2018 – Blue Badge Guide Training: South West Region
2002-2003 – London University: PGCE - Secondary History.
1987-1988 – London University: MA – ‘Field and Analytical Techniques in Archaeology’
1977-1977 – Britannia Royal Naval College - WRNS Officer Personnel and Management training.
1973-1976 – Kings College, University of London - BA Hons (2:1) History
|History and Archaeology|
|British Maritime History|
|Creat Houses and Culture of Georgian England|
|Biography, Family History|
|Royal Families of England and Scotland|