- This event has passed.
Guiding Tots & Teens for the Terrified 5 dates from 16th November 2018
GUIDING TOTS & TEENS FOR THE TERRIFIED
Dates for this course; Fridays 16th, 23rd, 30th November and 7th & 14th December
Guiding Tots & Teens is a 5-day course spread over 5 weeks in November and December 2018 which will give you:
- A safe and supportive environment in which to explore your approach to guiding young people, be they student groups or families
- Ideas on how to approach the preparation for a walking tour, a gallery tour, a museum tour, a major site tour, and a tour in a place of worship
- Structured group brainstorming to discuss and distil ideas and tools for guiding the different sites for 2 different age groups: 5-10 year olds and 11-18 year olds
- Practice at preparing and presenting 1 or 2 stops in each of the sites for each of the age groups under discussion in rotation
- Shared group practice and learning on site
- Constructive and supportive feedback
- Aide memoires of key information & summaries of each session
Prepared and presented by Blue Badge Guides Sarah Ciacci and Eve Milner, and aimed at guides, this course is intended specifically to explore the practice of guiding the under-18 age group, with practical ideas on how to tackle a tour for such clients, with regular opportunities to practise on site.
Using an organic and interactive approach, the course will start with ourselves – our hopes, concerns, pre-conceived ideas, level of confidence, past experiences in the field – and evolve within the geography of 5 key sites: a City walk, the National Gallery, the British Museum, the Tower of London and St Paul’s Cathedral.
Each day will begin at Guild House with 1 or 2 structured presentations, followed by focused group brainstorming sessions and feedback to the whole room. In the afternoon there will be practical sessions at a different site each week (see list above), including suggested model presentations, practise of your own prepared presentations, discussion and constructive feedback. There will be no examination, be it GCSE, AS-level or A-level, however there will be some informal homework to prepare.
1000-1200 Theory sessions at Guild House
1300-1630 Site practical sessions (with tea break)
Places available: 32 (PLEASE NOTE: if we have fewer than 26 participants the course may not be able to run and you will be advised of this closer to the date)
Cost: £280 per person